- Tempura Batter *See my ‘Tempura Batter’ recipe
- <Ingredients Suggestions>
- Sweet Potato, Beans, Pumpkin, Potato,
- Capsicum, Eggplant, Asparagus, Carrot,
- Cauliflower, Broccoli, Onion, Parsley,
- Prawns, Fish, Squid, Chikuwa (Fish Sausage),
- Shiitake, Mushrooms, Lotus Root, etc
Heat oil to 170°C to 180°C. The right temperature can be tested by dropping a little bit of batter into the oil. If the batter sinks a little into the oil, then comes back the surface, the temperature is right for frying. *See my ‘Tempura Batter’ recipe https://cookpad.com/uk/recipes/1471911-tempura-batter
Dip the pieces into Tempura Batter and slide them into the oil. Do not fry too many at once.
When the pieces are small such as beans, carrot or onion, fry the pieces in small bunches.
Turn them over a few times. When they are cooked and the batter is light golden and crispy, take them out and lay them on a rack to drain the oil.
Place a sheet of paper on a plate and arrange the Tempura so it presents well. The paper helps soak up any excess oil and makes the dish look nice.
Serve with Tentsuyu (dipping sauce). *It is often served with grated Daikon radish and grated Ginger to add extra flavour to the Tentsuyu dipping sauce. Sometimes Tempura are served with salt. My grandfather used to love sweet potato Tempura with BBQ sauce…